The Myth of the Starving Writer
It’s a common belief that writers can’t achieve financial success, but my journey in the writing world has proven otherwise. I. actually did make money with writing at a very early age and haven’t stopped since then.
While my first paycheck didn’t make me rich, it shattered the notion that writing can’t be lucrative. Consider J.K. Rowling, worth $1 billion, James Patterson at $750 million, Candy Spelling with $600 million, and Paulo Coelho’s $500 million net worth. These figures remind us of the immense potential in writing, though setting such high benchmarks might make us feel more overwhelmed than inspired.
Realistic Goals for Aspiring Writers
Instead of chasing astronomical success right away, let’s focus on attainable goals. Here are various ways writers can start earning money now:
Freelancing on Popular Platforms
Platforms like Fiverr, Upwork, Guru, and Freelancer offer abundant writing opportunities daily to help you make money with writing skills. Whether it’s blogs, articles, resumes, or even books, if you can write well, you can start earning. Key requirements include a strong command of your chosen language, in-depth knowledge of your topic, research skills, and a reliable internet connection.
Getting Started on Fiverr
Creating an account on Fiverr is straightforward:
- From the homepage, click ‘Become a Seller.’
- Enter your email, and choose a username and password.
- You can also sign up using Facebook or Google.
- Note: Your username, once set, cannot be changed.
- Activate your account via email, then start creating gigs and applying for jobs.
Upwork, the world’s largest freelancing website, offers a plethora of job opportunities:
- Visit Upwork.com and click ‘Sign Up.’
- Register with your email, Apple, or Google account.
- Fill in personal information, educational background, and work experience.
- Set your hourly rate and add a professional profile photo.
- Complete your profile and start applying for jobs once approved.
some advanced Upwork Tips can help you get started on the platform.
Signing Up on Guru
Guru’s account creation process is user-friendly:
- Click ‘Sign Up’ on the Guru homepage.
- Enter your name, and email, and agree to the terms.
- Choose the ‘Employer’ account type and set a password.
- Verify your account with the security code sent to your email.
- Complete your profile to start browsing jobs.
Registering on Freelancer
To start on Freelancer:
- On the Freelancer homepage, select ‘Sign Up.’
- Sign up via Facebook or email.
- Create a username and choose an account type.
- Verify your email and fill out your account details.
Self-Publishing on Kindle
Writing and publishing a book on Kindle is an exciting venture. The self-publishing market is vast, but success requires smart strategy and planning. Consider your niche and whether fiction or nonfiction suits you best. For bloggers, nonfiction often aligns well with their existing content. Remember, you may need to publish several books to gain traction and achieve significant income.
Make money with writing by mastering copywriting, a skill in high demand, that involves crafting content that drives action. Types of copywriting include website, SEO, product, B2B, B2C, direct response, ad, and social media copywriting. Learning and excelling in these areas can significantly boost your earning potential.
Blogging for Profit
While blogging isn’t the easiest path to riches, it’s accessible to anyone. Successful blogging involves creating engaging content, patience, and consistent effort. Monetization strategies include offering services, selling products, affiliate marketing, sponsored posts, native advertising, and launching online courses. Blogging also opens opportunities in social media and video blogging, like on YouTube.
Remember, each of these paths requires dedication, skill development, and a strategic approach. But for those willing to put in the effort, the rewards can be substantial. Start your journey, stay committed, and watch as your writing career flourishes into a profitable venture.